Generally, Companies House will issue an automatic late filing penalty if your company accounts are filed late. Today, the UK government announced further help to UK companies that affected by the coronavirus Covid 19 outbreak. Hence, companies are given an additional 3 month to submit their company accounts with Companies House with no penalty.
However, this additional 3 month to submit your company accounts is not automatically applied to limited companies. You MUST APPLY to extend your company accounts filing deadline online.
Why you need the extension
You may use the following link to apply to extend your company accounts filing deadline. You must provide a good reason why you need to extend your company account filing deadline.
- You are self employers individuals, you are ill or in self-isolation. You developed symptoms unexpectedly and you cannot go to your office to access to the accounting data or records.
- Majority of your accounting staff are ill or in self-isolation and no one is competent to prepare your company accounts.
- You are unable to send your accounting records over to your accountants because you are ill and the records are not ready to be sent over.
Basically, just explain how the coronavirus outbreak has impacted or prevent you from getting your company accounts ready for filing with Companies House on time.
You would require the following to apply:
- Your company number
- an email address
- Why you need the extension
- Supporting evidence if you have any. This is optional.
The online application will take about 15 minutes. Apply as soon as possible. Don’t wait till the last minute.
If you have any questions about filing your company accounts, our accountants will be more than happy to assist you.
Stay healthy and safe. We must follow the government guidelines. We are to stay the 2 metres (6 ft) apart from each other to stop the spread of the Covid 19.