Misused of your address

If you become aware someone has misused of your address as a registered office address of a company and a limited liability partnership (LLP), you can apply to Companies House to get your address removed.

Companies House has the power to rectify the situation under Section 1097A of the Companies Act 2006.

How to rectify misused of your address

For this purpose, you complete the Companies House form RP07. In the form, you must provide the following information.

Personal information

your personal’s details if you are an individual and leave the company name column blank.

Home address

You home address if this is the address was misused as the registered office address.

The company or LLP name and number

Enter the company or LLP’s details misused your address. Use the Companies House free search service to find the company number you are complaining about.

The company or LLP’s registered office address

On the Companies House search screen result, you will see the registered office address of the company or the LLP and enter that address. Technically, if you are claiming this company or LLP misused your address as their registered office address. The registered office address on the search screen shall be the same as your home address.

Reasons you want to change the company’s registered office address

Usually, you become suspicious of someone misused of your address when you received mails belong to a company or LLP continuously. Commonly, your letterbox would be flooded with junk mails too. And this can be annoying. On the other hand, you also risk people turned up at your home looking for the company or the LLP.

For this purpose, state your reasons.

Additional evidence

Additionally, you must provide the following evidence to support your claim.

  1. You must prove that you have the right to the address. Your leasehold or freehold would be sufficient for this.
  2. If you have any written agreement to prove that you can use the address like a rent or tenancy agreement.
  3. Utility bills like water or electricity or council tax bill with your name and address printed on it within the last 6 months.

If you have any questions about removing your address misused by a company or LLP, contact companies House immediately.

Reminder to submit your confirmation statement

Reminder to submit your confirmation statement is the help Companies House provide generously. Companies House sends out reminders to your registered office address when your confirmation statement is due.

Companies House want to remind you to submit your confirmation statement on time

It is a criminal offence for not sending in your confirmation statement. Additionally, you can be fined up to £5000 and risk your company being struck off the register.

Because of Companies House only send reminders to your registered office, it is vital that you keep your registered office up to date with Companies House.

For example, if you recently moved to a new office you must notify Companies House of your new registered office address. Use the form AD01 to notify Companies House.

Alternatively, you may sign up for an email reminder to submit your confirmation statement when it is due. To sign up for the email reminder, you need to login to your web filing service and opt-in for the email alert. You would require your authentication code to use the Companies House web filing service.

You must keep safe your authentication code because it is the electronic equivalent of your company director and secretary signatures.

Remove your home address from Companies House register

The UK company law, in particular, section 1088 of the Companies Act 2006 allows Companies House to remove your home address from Companies House register. In other words, your home address will not be available on the public register. Of course, your application is subject to Companies House approval.

How to apply to remove your home address from Companies House register

To begin with, you search the Companies House register to find out the company name, incorporation number of which your home address was placed on the public register. You would require this information to complete the companies house form SR01 and send to the following address. Remember to enclose a cheque payable to Companies House for the statutory fee of £55 with your application. Companies House will return your application if you do not enclose the correct statutory fee.

The Registrar of Companies

PO Box 4082
CF14 3WE

Subsequently, Companies House will review your application and let you know if your application is successful or unsuccessful.

Your home address also your registered office address

You may not use this law to remove your home address from the public register where your home address is also your registered office address.

If you have any questions about removing your home address from Companies House record, contact Companies House or speak with our accountants.