How to change company authentication code

You can change your company’s authentication code at any time. How to change your company authentication code with Companies House is easy. Follow the step-by-step guide below.

Change company authentication

StepsAction to take
1You must log in to Companies house’s web filing service using your email address and password registered with Companies House for web filing service.
2You must also enter your company number and the authentication code issued by Companies House if this is the first time you are changing your authentication code.

If you have misplaced your original authentication code issued to your company by Companies House, you can request it again. It will be sent to your company’s registered office address.
3Once login into the web filing service dashboard, you will see “company authentication” on the left-hand menu. Click on it.
4You will be asked to choose a new 6 character code and re-enter the code again. then you click the “change code” button to activate the change.

Take note that Companies House will send a letter to your registered office address to confirm your authentication code has been changed. For this reason, it is important you make sure you are able to access mails sent to your company’s registered office address.
5 all done.

It is very important you treat your authentication code like your debit card and credit card pin because anyone who has access to your authentication code can file information for your company with Companies House.

Correspondingly, If the person is no longer authorized to file information for your company then change your authentication.

Prefer papers filings

If you prefer to submit papers filings instead of electronically with Companies House, you can cancel your authentication code.

Tick the box “I wish to cancel the company authentication code”. Then click the “cancel code” button. Take note that once you cancel your authentication code, you will not be able to submit your confirmation statement, company accounts, director appointment, and so on electronically.

Bike repair voucher

The UK government launched the bike repair voucher scheme called “Fix your bike voucher scheme” as part of their effort to encourage people to cycle rather than use private cars for short journeys. Cycling not only keeps you fit but also reduce air pollution compared to driving a car.

If you have an unused bike that requires repair you can get the bike repair voucher to pay for your bike repair. The voucher is worth £50. You can use the voucher to pay for your bike repair costs. The Fix your bike voucher scheme is for anyone living in England.

Types of bike repairs

The voucher covers the following repairs costs:

Inspection, adjustment, lubrication, tyre inflation.
Or adjustment, repair, replacement of:

  • tyres, tubes, wheels and related components;
  • braking system components;
  • transmission system components;
  • any other essential components which prevent safe use of the bike e.g. deteriorated grips or saddle, failed bottom bracket, failed headset bearings;
  • components for permanently fitted dynamo-powered lighting systems.

However, you are not allowed to use the voucher for the following:

  • replacement or upgrade of existing safe and roadworthy components;
  • replacement or repair of removable or battery-powered lighting systems;
  • provision of any additional parts or accessories, whether attached to the bike or for the rider’s use;
  • replacement of any part or component, even if the replacement is necessary and otherwise eligible, by a component of disproportionate value where a component of quality and value more closely matching the original is reasonably available. In other words, it is not permitted for new parts to represent very significant upgrading not essential for roadworthiness.

When registering to get the Fix your bike voucher, you must provide your details about your bike. This includes the type of bike you have. for example, a commuter bike or town bike or racing bike or folding bike or electric bike or adaptive bike etc.

You must also specify the brand of your bike. For example, it is a Cannondale or Specialized etc and the main colour of your bike.

Registered bike repairs shop or mechanics

Only use the bike repair voucher with the bike repairs shops or bike mechanics registered with the Fix your bike voucher scheme. You can find the registered bike repairs shops and mechanics here.

Note down your bike repair voucher code, you will need this when you take your bike to the shop for repairs.

Also, bring documents for proof of your identity and your address. For example, your passport or driving licence for proof of identity. Utility bills such as water or electricity or council tax bill for proof of address.

Companies House filings

If you run your business using a limited company, remember to deliver your company accounts and confirmation statement to Companies House on time to avoid a late filing penalty.

If you require any help with your company filings, feel free to contact our accountants, they will be more than happy to assist you.

Travel to Europe for business

The UK has officially left the EU on 31 January 2021. Consequently, there are new rules for travel to Europe for business or holiday when the COVID restrictions lift. Be prepared, plan ahead and get ready for your trip.


You must make sure your passport has at least 6 months of validity left and must not be less than 10 years old. If your passport has less than 6 months, you can renew your British passport here. Generally, it takes 3 months to get your new passport if you apply online and it takes longer if you apply by post. Do plan your trip ahead.

Driving to Europe

Check in advance of the countries you are visiting in Europe. you may need to apply for International Driving Permit (IDP). You can obtain the IDP from a post office in the UK. You must already have either a valid UK driving license or a Northern Ireland driving license.

There are different types of IDP. Which IDP you need is dependent on which country or countries you are visiting and how long you are going to drive there.

Click here to see which IDP you need to apply.

Visa or work permit to enter a country

You may need a visa or work permit if you are planning to visit a country in Europe for more than 90 days in a 180-day period.

If you are doing the following then you would need a work permit or visa:

  • Relocating from a UK company or a branch to a branch in a different country. This is called intra-corporate transfer. You would need a visa even for a short period of time.
  • Providing a service according to contracts to your customer in another country in which your employer has no presence.
  • Providing your services in another country as a self-employed person.

Click here for business travel tips to Europe.

Mobile roaming charges

Contact your mobile network provider to enquire about the roaming charges as you do not want to end up with a huge bill. Sometimes, It may be cheaper to use local mobile network in the country you are visiting for a long period of time rather than using a roaming service.

Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC)

Consider applying for the Global Health Insurance Card, especially if your European Health Insurance Card has expired. It is free of charge. You can apply online or by post and it will take 10 days to arrive.

Click here to apply your GHIC.

British embassies in Europe

If you require help while you are in Europe, contact the country’s British Embassy.

Get information about a UK company from EUROPE

You can get information about a UK company from EUROPE through the Companies House website. Ordinarily, you can get the following UK company information for FREE from Companies House.

If you have any questions on how to get information about a UK company while you are in EUROPE, our accountants can help you.

Countries in Europe

Europe include the following countries:

  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Bulgaria
  • Croatia
  • Republic of Cyprus
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Latvia
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Malta
  • Netherlands
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Romania
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • Norway
  • Iceland
  • Liechtenstein

Visit the for further information.

Budget 2021

The UK government announced at the Budget 2021 the following subject matters and will legislate them in Finance Bill 2021.

Corporation tax

The corporation tax rate remains at 19% from 1 April 2022 and the rate will increase to 25% from 1 April 2023.

Coronavirus Job Support Scheme

The Coronavirus Job support Scheme is extended to 30 September 2021 across the UK.

Self Employment Income Support Scheme

The self-employment income support scheme is extended to 30 September 2021. People who have filed their self-assessment return in 2019/2020 may be able to claim for the first time.

One-off cash grants of £18,000

A new restart grants for hospitality, accommodation, leisure, personal care and gym businesses in England. If your business falls into these sectors you may entitle to the one-off cash grants of £18,000.

VAT cut for some businesses

VAT to 5% for hospitality, accommodation and attractions is extended to 30 September 2021 thereafter the rate will increase to 12.5% till 31 March 2022.

Statutory Sick Pay (SSP)

If your business have paid staff for self isolating or sick during this pandemic, you can claim the statutory sick pay up to two weeks from the UK government.

Property tax – stamp duty

The stamp duty land tax temporary relief is extended to 30 June 2021. First-time buyers continue to enjoy the tax-free amount of up to £500,000 on a property purchase cost.

The Budget 2021 have been very helpful to help UK businesses to bounce back from this pandemic.

A firm handshake gives a good impression

Handshakes are a universally accepted way to meet and greet in business social gatherings and meetings. A firm handshake gives a good impression, and an intention to have peace with each other.

A handshake is also a popular non-verbal behaviour when a business deal is closed. It was like “thank you for accepting my proposal” or “thank you for the opportunities to collaborate or work together”.

A firm palm to palm handshake

Practice a firm, palm to palm followed by a decisive release kind of handshake. You will need this after the COVID is over. Avoid bone crusher, wet fish, dead fish, fingertips handshakes. Also, when your hand is cold, warm it up by rubbing your hands together before a handshake.

History of handshake

According to, one of the earliest depictions of a handshake is found in a ninth-century B.C. relief, which shows the Assyrian King Shalmaneser III pressing the flesh with a Babylonian ruler to seal an alliance. 

You can read the full article about history of handshake here.

No handshake during COVID pandemic

During this COVID pandemic, a handshake is deemed dangerous. Scientifically, it is because of the possible COVID transmission from one person to the other and can spread like crazy.

Handshake will be back to life

You know what? COVID is not going to last forever on this planet. Face to face business meetings will come back to life at some point in the future and the popular handshake way to meet and greet in business gatherings will come back to life too.

Just look at the history of the previous pandemics, for example, the H1N1 Swine flu pandemic occurred between 2009 to 2010. The main route of swine flu virus spread between humans is exposure to the virus when someone infected sneezes or coughs, and the virus enters one of the potential mucous surfaces, or when a person touched something infected with the virus and subsequently touch their nose, mouth, and surrounding areas. This is how COVID was spread too.

Ask yourself? Before the COVID outbreak, did you shake hand with other people? I guess your answer is YES. With the COVID vaccines rolling out rapidly worldwide as I am writing this article, I believe COVID will no longer control how we want to live our lives and greet people in business settings.

Be ready to meet and greet with a firm handshake

Let be positive about the future and practice your firm handshake for when we are ready to meet face to face for business.

In the meantime, we embrace online meeting via Zoom, Whatapps, Face Time, Messenger, Skype, Google Meet and so on. We cannot do a handshake but we can smile and wave when we meet on screen. This is a popular non-verbal body language to welcome others in virtual meetings.

If you are running a business through a limited company, remember to deliver your confirmation statement and company accounts promptly to Companies House. It is important to maintain your company status “Active” with Companies House during this COVID pandemic. Your customers will lose confidence in your products or services if they see your company status is a “proposal to strike off” or “dissolved”.

%d bloggers like this: