Reminders from Companies House

No more paper reminders from Companies House. No more paper reminders from Companies House. You will receive a notice about this at your company’s or LLP’s registered office address.

Email reminders from Companies House

However, if you would still like to receive a reminder about when your confirmation statement and your company account are due, you may sign up to Companies House’s email reminder service.

Companies House provides this service for free. You can choose up to 4 people to receive a reminder about your limited company and limited liability partnership. The 4 people limit includes your accountant. Whoever signed up for the email reminder can also file your company account and your confirmation statement immediately from a link within the email.

Who is responsible to file documents with Companies House

The company law read it is the director’s responsibilities to submit company information on time to Companies House. As a director you could get a criminal record, a fine and disqualification if you do not deliver your company accounts and confirmation statement on time.

For this reason, we strongly recommend you sign up for Companies House email reminder service as soon as possible. You have nothing to lose. Furthermore, it is free.

If you have an accountant, you do not usually have to worry about Companies House filings because they will take care of it for you.

Companies House online filing services

You would require your company’s authentication code to file online. The authentication code is the electronic equivalent of your company’s director(s) signatures. Hence, you must keep it safe.

If you require help with your company’s confirmation statement and company accounts, contact Our accountants. They will be more than happy to assist you.

Companies House has created an interim paperless filing service to accept documents which would normally require a live signature during COVID-19 pandemic. You can easily upload your documents to the Companies House website.

If you no longer want to keep your company or LLP then you must formally apply to Companies House to have it removed from the register. If you require help to close down your company, our accountant can help you.

Change of principal business activity

You must inform Companies House and HM Revenue and Customs If you change your principal business activity.

Inform HMRC of your new principal business activity

You can report the change of principal business activity in your corporation tax return (CT600) and HMRC would pick up this information from your tax return. Usually, your company accounts accompany with your corporation tax return filing would also require to state the change in your trading activity.

Report change to Companies House

Every limited company must submit their confirmation statement to Companies House every year. You may take this filing opportunity to report your new trading activity with Companies House. You may report the change of your principal business activity by updating your SIC code. In other words, you choose the code that closely represents your current business activity. That’s it.

For example, say, your original principal activity was wholesale of flowers and plants, your SIC code would be 46220 then. Now, you are retailing flowers and plants and no longer wholesale, then your SIC code would be 47760.

You can report your new SIC code at the same time filing your confirmation statement with Companies House. You do not need to file the change separately like you would when there is a change in director appointment or change of registered office address.

Another document you must report your new principal activity is your company accounts. You must declare there is a change in principal business activity during the year in your director’s report page.

Check your company’s principal activity

You can check your principal business activity currently registered with Companies House. Companies House publish your company’s details for public inspection.

%d bloggers like this: