Hire staff from outside the UK

Your company must register as a licensed visa sponsor with the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) to hire staff from outside the UK beginning 1 January 2021.

This includes hiring people from the following countries:

  • The EU  
  • Iceland
  • Liechtenstein
  • Norway
  • Switzerland

Who arrived in the UK after 31 December 2020 because the UK has left the EU and the transition period ended 31 December 2020.

The people your company is recruiting must also meet the new job, the language and the salary requirements set by the UK Immigration Department called the Home Office.

Licensed visa sponsor for UK employers

You can apply for your employer licensed visa sponsor from the UK Visas and Immigration.

Once approved, the Home Office will a certificate of sponsorship to you. Your license will be valid for 4 years.

Once your company has become a licensed visa sponsor, you must maintain your employer’s responsibilities as set out by the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI). For example, if your company has ceased trading and you are going to dissolve your company.

Hire Staff from outside the UK that does not require a licensed visa sponsor

The licensed visa sponsor rule does not apply to the staff from the following countries you already employ in the UK and were living in the UK by 31 December 2020.

  • The EEA
  • Swiss citizens

They and their family members can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme by 30 June 2021.

Besides, making sure you apply for a licensed visa sponsor before hiring staff from outside the UK and maintaining your responsibilities as a licensed visa sponsor employer, remember to maintain your company filings with Companies House. Deliver your confirmation statement and company accounts to Companies House promptly to avoid a late filing penalty.

Submit EC sales list from 1 January 2021

Submit EC sales list from 1 January 2021 is compulsory for VAT registered businesses supply goods which are intra-community dispatches to the EU Member States made under the Northern Ireland Protocol.

This requirement comes into effect following Brexit and the transition period ended on 31 December 2020.

UK exports

Correspondingly, from 1 January 2021, the movement of goods from the UK to the EU will be treated as exports and must not be reported on your EC Sales List.

No more paper EC Sales List

You will no longer be receiving a paper EC Sales List from HMRC. You must submit your EC Sales List online via HMRC’s ECSL service. Click here to sign up for the ECSL service if you have not yet done so.

Your business may face a financial penalty if you failed to deliver your EC Sales List to HMRC promptly.

Other compulsory filings

If your business is a limited company, you must deliver the following documents to Companies House every year.

If you require help with your EC Sales List, Confirmation Statement and Company accounts filings, do not hesitate to contact our accountants, they are more than happy to help you.

UK company with EEA corporate officer with effect from 1 January 2021

UK company with EEA corporate officer with effect from 1 January 2021 are required to provide up to date information about their EEA corporate officer to Companies House.

EEA stands for the European Economic Area. If your corporate officer is registered in the EEA countries then you must comply with the new UK companies filing requirement. Below is the list of the countries in the EEA.

EEA countries

The EEA countries include the following countries and the European Union (EU) countries.

  • Iceland
  • Liechtenstein
  • Norway

EU countries

The EU includes the following countries:

  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Bulgaria
  • Croatia
  • Republic of Cyprus
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Italy
  • Latvia
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Malta
  • Netherlands
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Romania
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Sweden

Your EEA corporate officer information required

If your UK company has appointed an EEA corporate officer as your company director or secretary then you must provide the following information of your EEA corporate officer to Companies House.

  • corporate or company name
  • registered (or principal) office address
  • legal form and its governing law
  • register and registration number (if applicable)

This requirement does not affect UK company with UK registered company as their corporate officer.

How to submit your UK company’s EEA corporate officer information to Companies House

You would require to complete the relevant Companies House forms for your EEA corporate officer and submit it to Companies House. You can do it online or send in your completed form by post.

Form referencePurpose of filing
CH02change details for a corporate director
CH04change details for a corporate secretary
LL CH02change details for a corporate member of an LLP

During this COVID pandemic, Companies House encourages to do the filing online. This is because paper filing takes longer than usual to process. If you require help with this filing, our accountants can help you.

This filing is similar to filing your company accounts and Confirmation statement online which you would require your company’s authentication code to file.

Deadline to deliver your EEA corporate officer information

Your UK company with EEA corporate officer has three months from 1 January 2021 to deliver the information to Companies House.

If you have any questions about EEA corporate officer filing with Companies House, contact us, our accountants will assist you.

%d bloggers like this: