Re-register from a private limited company limited by shares to a public limited company (PLC) with Companies House. Before anything else, your company must pass a special resolution.
Desired name for PLC
Firstly, you must enter your existing company full name and registration number. Your company name and registration number must match your certificate of incorporation or certificate of change of company name. Subsequently, you enter your desired company full name of the re-registered company.
Companies House form RR01 and supporting documents
Your company must complete the Companies House form RR01 for your application to re-register your private limited company as a public limited company (PLC). Then, send your application form to Companies House.
The application must include the following legal documents.
- A copy of the special resolution that the company should re-register as a public limited company.
- A printed copy of the amended articles of association
- The balance sheet
- Your auditor’s written statement under section 92(1)(c) of the Companies Act 2006.
- Your auditor’s unqualified report
- Copy of the valuation report if recent allotment of shares for a non-cash consideration under Section 93(2) of the Companies Act 2006.
- Statement of the proposed secretary to be included If your company do not have a secretary.
- Your director or company secretary must sign the RR01 form.
Authorized minimum share capital
On one hand, your company must have an authorized and allotted share capital of £50,000 or more. With fully paid premium and a minimum of 25% paid-up nominal value for each share.
Generally, a public limited company must have a company secretary. Therefore, you must provide details of your company secretary in your RR01 form. Essentially, the person to hold the position as your company secretary must have the required skills and qualifications.
For example, the person to qualify as your company secretary must hold membership of one of the professional accountancy bodies i.e. The Association of Chartered Certified Accountant ACCA.
You company secretary can be an individual or a corporate body. You must enter your company secretary details in the form RR01.
Lastly, don’t forget to include a cheque or postal order to pay the statutory fee to Companies House for your application to re-register. Otherwise, your application will not be processed without the fee. Write your cheque payable to Companies House.