Common errors with company name on Companies House form

Common errors with company name on Companies House form and company accounts which lead to Companies House to reject them.

If you choose to deliver your paper documents to Companies House. Be it your Companies House form or company accounts, you must write your company in full. This includes your company name ending.

First, your company accounts and Companies House form must be printed on A4 size WHITE PAPERs. If you are using a firm of accountants to help you with your company account preparation, they will usually submit your accounts to Companies House for you.

Where to get Companies House forms?

If you are filing paper form to Companies House yourself, you can download the Companies House forms from the Companies House website.

Alternatively, you use the ‘form reference’ to search the form from the Companies House website. For example, if you would like to file your confirmation statement on a paper form, the form reference is CS01. Type CSO1 on Companies House search bar and the latest form will appear on the search results. Click to download it.

On the same note, use BLACK ink to fill in your paper form.

The exact spelling of your company name per your certificate of incorporation

You must write your exact company name as per your certificate of incorporation. Also, your company registration number must be correct. Your company Company names that have spelling errors or variations will be rejected by Companies House.

For example, say, your company full name is THE PRETTY BLUE EYES LIMITED. Companies House will accept your form with your company name omitting the “THE” in front of your company name.

On the other hand, if your company name is LOVE THE HEART LIMITED and you wrote “LOVE HEART LIMITED” in your Companies House form then your form is likely to be rejected.

Common errors with company name on Companies House form include the company name ending.

Companies House accept specific abbreviations on your company name

If you are to use abbreviation on your company name, ensure you use companies House’s acceptable abbreviations.

The acceptable company name ending abbreviations are listed below.

Limited companies

For Public limited companiesFor Private limited companies
Public Limited CompanyLimited
Cwmni Cyfyngedig CyhoeddusCyfyngedig

Limited liabilities partnerships

For LLPs
Limited Liability Partnership
Partneriaeth Atebolrwydd Cyfyngedig

Community interest companies

For community interest companies (private limited)For community interest companies (public limited)
Community Interest CompanyCommunity Interest Public Limited Company
CICCommunity Interest PLC
C.I.C.Community Interest P.L.C.
Cwmni Buddiant CymunedolCwmni Buddiant Cymunedol Cyhoeddus Cyfyngedig
CBCCwmni Buddiant Cymunedol CCC
Cwmni Buddiant Cymunedol C.C.C.

Someone changed your registered office

It has come to your attention that someone has changed your registered office address. knowingly, this was done without your permission. You must take action to notify Companies House and rectify the situation immediately.

For example, you noticed the form AD01 was filed for your company without your authority. Another situation would be someone has submitted the form OS CH01 to Companies House to change the address of your UK establishment.

Use the Companies House Form RP02B

In this circumstance, you can apply to Companies House to have the form AD01 or the OS CH01 be removed. For this purpose, you complete and sign the form RP02B. The RP02B form is an application for rectification of a registered office or UK establishment address by the registrar of companies.

First and foremost, you only submit the form RP02B when the transaction to change your registered office address was forged or was done without your consent.

To report misuse of your address as your registered office address, you use the form RP07.

Deliver the form RP02B to

Thereafter, you send your completed and signed form RP02B to one of Companies House offices. Where to send your form RP02B is dependent on where is your company’s registered office address situated.

For companies registered in England and Wales, you send your form RP02B to the Companies House office at the address below:

Companies House
Crown Way
Wales CF14 3UZ
DX 33050 Cardiff

For companies with registered office in Scotland, you send your form RP02B to the Scottish Companies House office at the address below :

Companies House
Fourth floor
Edinburg Quay 2,
139 Fountainbridge
Scotland EH3 9FF
DX ED 235 Edinburg 1 or LP – 4 Edinburg 2 (Legal Post).

For companies with registered office in Northern Ireland, you send your form RP02B to the Companies House office at the address below:

Companies House
First Floor, Waterfront Plaza
8 Laganbank Road
Belfast, Northern Ireland BT1 3BS
DX 481 N.R. Belfast 1.

To prevent someone changed your registered office

For added security, you can join the PROOF scheme if you have not yet done so. The PROOF scheme stands for PROtected Online Filing. It was introduced to prevent companies from being hijacked.

Subsequently, after your company joined the PROOF scheme, certain paper forms filings including change of your registered office can only be filed online. For this, you would require your company’s authentication code. You must keep safe of your authentication code. You can also use the same authentication code to submit your confirmation statement.

Thereafter, Companies House will reject a paper AD01 form to change your registered office address. Companies House will return the form to your registered office address. However, if for any reason, you must file a paper AD01 form you must send in a consent form together with your AD01.

If you have any questions about removing an unauthorised filing for your company, contact Companies House.

Correct a director’s date of birth

You can apply to Companies House to correct a director’s date of birth for error that was made on incorporation. Normally, This type of error occurred when you have more than one director’s details to fill in or information mixed up with other director or an oversight. Luckily, Companies House allows correction to be made to a director’s date of birth.

You cannot use the form CH01 to change a director’s date of birth. The CH01 can only be used for changing your usual residential address, service address and your name.

How to correct a director’s date of birth

For this purpose, you must complete the form RP CH01. You must include the director’s full name and the month and year of birth of the director currently registered with the Companies House. And of course, the correct date of birth of the director.

Concurrently, you must also submit the companies house form RP02A together with this RP CH01. The RP02A form is to apply for rectification by the Registrar of Companies. You would declare the reason for rectification is the information is factually inaccurate.

Additionally, if your company has opted in the PROOF scheme, you must also complete the form PR03 consent form for paper filing.

Other documents you must submit to Companies House are your company accounts and confirmation statement.

If you have any questions about correcting your director’s date of birth, contact Companies House.

%d bloggers like this: