Concise Accountancy

Accountants and Registered Auditors

Confirmation statement

Annual return

Limited company and limited liability partnership (LLP) must submit the annual return with Companies House. Companies House set your return due date. If your annual return filing deadline is 30 June 2016. You have 28 days from that date to file it. The Companies House form to use is AR01.

The Annual Return is abolished

The annual return filing was officially replaced with Confirmation statement filing after 30 June 2016. After this date, you must submit Confirmation Statement instead of annual return.

What is an annual return?

Annual return provides a snapshot of your company and limited liability partnership information. Companies House requires every company and LLP to update and validate the information held by the Registrar once every 12 months.

The snapshot of information in your annual return includes the following information.

Company name

as per your certificate of incorporation.

Company registration number

given by Companies House.

The type of your company

For example, if it is private or public limited company

Registered office address

This cannot be a PO Box address.

Principal business activity

If your company or LLP has not traded since its incorporation, specify 99999 as your SIC code for a dormant company. Otherwise, you choose the SIC code that closely matches your business activity.


You are to include the appointment, resignation and changes in personal particulars during the year.

Company secretary

Appointment of a company secretary is optional for a private limited company. However, the appointment is compulsory for a public limited company.

A secretary for a public limited company must have the minimum qualification and experience required by law to hold the position.


Details includes the name and number of shares held by each shareholder.

Statement of capital

This includes nominal value of each share, shares types, voting rights on each type of share, the paid and unpaid amount on each share.

Confirmation statement

Confirmation statement filing deadline is shorter compared to the annual return filing deadline. You are given 14 days to submit your Confirmation Statement CS01 with Companies House. whereas you have 28 days to file your annual return. You can file it either online or on paper.

Your Confirmation statement is to confirm the details registered with Companies House are still valid and correct at every 12 months.

Likewise, If there are any changes during the 12 months, you must be communicated with Companies House by filing relevant Companies House forms with them.

Companies House forms

The forms to use if there are changes in your company information.

  • AD01 if your registered office has changed.
  • AP01 if you appointed a new director.
  • TM02 if you would like to remove your company secretary.
  • AD02 to register your SAIL address if you are keeping your company registers somewhere else other than at your registered office.
  • AD04 when you move your company registers back to your registered office.
  • CH01 if there are changes to your director’s personal details.
  • AA01 if you would like to change your accounting reference date.

The Person with significant control (PSC)

This is a new law. You are required to provide information of People with Significant Control (PSC) when submitting your confirmation statement. In contrast, this was not required in filing your annual return.

Nominee director and shareholder service

As a result of the introduction of Person with Significant Control, people cannot hide behind a company using a nominee anymore.

Consequently, this has rendered the nominee director and nominee shareholder served no purpose anymore.

PSC forms

You are to use the following forms to provide information about your PSC with Companies House.

  • PSC01 if your PSC is an individual.
  • PSC02 if your PSC is an entity.
  • PSC03 if your PSC is a registrable person.
  • PSC04 to change the PSC personal details.
  • PSC05 to change particulars of PSC entity.
  • PSC06 to change details of your PSC registrable person.
  • PSC07 for termination of your PSC.
  • PSC08 to give notice of PSC statement/
  • PSC09 to give notice of update to PSC statement.

Send Reminders to Registered Office

Companies House sends reminders to your registered office address. Therefore If you no longer have access to mails sent to your registered office address, you must change to an address where you could have access to mails sent there. You are to use the form AD01 to change your registered office address.

Share this post

%d bloggers like this: