Co-operative is a sensitive word. You are only allowed to use ‘Co-operative’ in your company or business name provided you meet the following conditions:

  • Your company should be owned and controlled by its members, customers or employees.
  • Membership should be voluntary and open i.e. it should not be artificially restricted in order to increase the value of the business or its assets.
  • Members’ should participate in the economic activity of the business.
  • Profits should be distributed equally amongst the members’ or at least in proportion to the extent each member has participated in the business.
  • Your company’s articles of association should include these principles or in the rules/constitution of an unincorporated business.
  • Any application to use this word in your business name should include a copy of the rules or constitution document.

You must include a copy of these documents in your incorporation application to Companies House.

Concurrently, your company must comply with the Co-operative and Community Benefit Societies Act 2014. You may contact the Financial Conduct Authority for further information.

Financial Conduct Authority

AddressFinancial Conduct Authority
25 The North Colonnade
Canary Wharf
E14 5HS
Source: GOV.UK

You can use the Company name availability checker to check if your proposed company name is still available for registration.

How to register a company?

Concise Accountants provide company formation services. Our accountants will handle the incorporation of your limited company for you. We will also advise you whether your supporting evidence is sufficient.

Universally, your company’s registered office must be a real address. Companies House would not accept P O Box numbers as your registered office address.

Maintain your limited company

You must prepare and submit a few documents with the UK Authorities every year to keep your company active.

Firstly, at every anniversary of your company, you are required to prepare and submit your confirmation statement with Companies House. The confirmation statement is a snapshot of information about your company shares structure, directors on board and shareholders and registered office.

On the same note, you must also inform Companies House if your company details changed. For example, you appoint a new director or your registered office address has changed.

Additionally, you must submit your company accounts to Companies House and HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

Other sensitive or reserved words

Click here for other sensitive or reserved words that require consent to use them in your company or business name in the United Kingdom.

%d bloggers like this: