Concise Accountancy

Accountants and Registered Auditors

Company names and incorporationSetup limited company

Britain and British

Britain and British are reserved words. You must obtain written permission from the British Government if the use of Britain or British in your proposed company name does imply a connection with a government department.

Consequently, you must write to relevant government department, a devolved administration or a local or specified public authority to request a letter or email of non-objection. This also applies if the word is your surname.

Your company name DOES NOT imply a connection with the Government

If you wish to use this word at the start of your proposed company name, or ‘of Britain’ or ‘of Great Britain’ anywhere in your company name, you will need to demonstrate that your company is pre-eminent or very substantial in its field.

For this, you should also provide views or supporting evidence from an independent source. For examples, a trade association or other private or public body you work with.

If the word Britain or British is not the first word in your company name it will usually be allowed.

Also, If the word Britain or British is your surname it will normally be allowed if your proposed company name includes your forename or initials.

Correspondingly, you must include a copy of the letter or email from the relevant body in your incorporation application to Companies House.

You can use the Company name availability checker to check if your proposed company name is still available for registration.

How to register a company?

Concise Accountants provide company formation services. Our accountants will handle the incorporation of your limited company from start to finish. We will also advise you whether your supporting evidence is sufficient to support the use of Britain or British in your company name.

Universally, your company’s registered office must be a real address. Companies House would not accept P O Box numbers as your registered office address.

Maintain your limited company

After your company has been successfully incorporated. There are a few documents you must file with the UK Authorities every year.

Firstly, at every anniversary of your company, you are required to prepare and submit your confirmation statement with Companies House. The confirmation statement is a snapshot of information about your company shares structure, directors, shareholders and registered office.

On the same note, you must also inform Companies House if your company details changed. For example, you appoint a new director or your registered office address has changed.

Additionally, you must submit your company accounts to Companies House and HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC). For HMRC, you must include your corporation tax return together with your company accounts. Concise Accountants offers fixed fee accounts packages to limited companies to take care of your company accounts and corporation tax return. The packages are suitable for startup businesses and small companies. Feel free to contact our accountants to discuss.

Other sensitive or reserved words

Click here for other sensitive words that require you to obtain a consent to use in your company or business name in the United Kingdom.

Share this post

%d bloggers like this: