Concise Accountancy

Accountants and Registered Auditors

Company accounts

Unlimited company

Unlimited company need only deliver company accounts to Companies House if, at any time during the accounting period covered by your accounts:

Your unlimited company was a:

  • Subsidiary undertaking.
  • Parent of a limited undertaking.
  • Banking company.
  • Insurance company (or the parent company of a banking or insurance company).


  • Each of your unlimited company’s members was:
    • A limited company;
    • Another unlimited company each of whose members was a limited company;
  • A limited company;
  • A Scottish partnership each of whose members was a limited company.

Consequently, a limited company whether public or private, a partnership, a subsidiary and a parent must submit their company accounts with Companies House.

A public limited company must submit audited company accounts whereas for a private limited company may opt to deliver unaudited company accounts if they meet the audit exemption criteria.

A dormant subsidiary may be able to claim exemption from the preparation or filing your company accounts under certain circumstances.

Re-registration of unlimited company

Companies House allows re-registration of your unlimited company to a private limited company and also from limited company to unlimited company. The forms to use are RR06 and RR05 respectively.

Late filing penalty

You must file your company accounts on time. This is to avoid the late filing penalty even if you were just late by one day. So it is important that you know when is your account due date. You may get this information from the Companies House website. They publish companies current filing status and documents filing due dates. This includes confirmation statement due date too.

Contact Companies House or seek accountants advice for further information on your unlimited company’s accounts filing requirements.

Share this post

%d bloggers like this: