Concise Accountancy

Accountants and Registered Auditors

SIC codes

SIC codes for accommodation and food service businesses

You are required to specify a SIC code when completing your confirmation statement for Companies House. SIC stands for Standard Industrial Classification. This article focuses on Section I of the SIC codes for accommodation and food service businesses. The SIC codes are divided into sections in alphabetical order, ranging from Section A to Section U.

The Office for National Statistics refers to these SIC codes as the UK SIC 2007 codes and use them to produce statistics.

Section I: SIC codes for accommodation and food service

SIC codeDescription
55100Hotels and similar accommodation
55201Holiday centres and villages
55202Youth hostels
55209Other holiday and other collective accommodation
55300Recreational vehicle parks, trailer parks and camping grounds
55900Other accommodation
56101Licenced restaurants
56102Unlicenced restaurants and cafes
56103Take-away food shops and mobile food stands
56210Event catering activities
56290Other food services
56301Licenced clubs
56302Public houses and bars
Source: Companies House

Choose the correct SIC codes for your business

You are required to specify at least one SIC code that closely represents your business activity when you complete your confirmation statement for Companies House.

For example, if you are running a hotel with the restaurant service and you are using a limited company for these business activities, you would require to submit a confirmation statement to Companies House at least once every 12 months. You can submit your confirmation statement online or by post.

In your confirmation statement CS01 form, under the Standard Industrial Classification code, the SIC codes that represent your business activities are as follows:

  • 55100 Hotels and similar accommodation
  • 56101 Licensed restaurant

SIC codes for other businesses not related to accommodation and food service

Click here for a list of SIC codes for other business activities not listed above.

Disclose your business activity in your company accounts

You are also required to disclose your business activities in your company accounts. Usually, the disclosure is in the format of a description rather than using the SIC codes.

For example, you would write in your director’s report under Principal activities heading something like this.

“The principal activity of the company is that of hotel operation. There has been no change in the business activity during the year or since the balance sheet date. The director is of the view that the company is well-positioned for the future.”

The director’s report is part of your company accounts.

If you require help with your company’s filings with Companies House or HM Revenue and Customs, feel free to contact our accountants. They will be more than happy to assist you.

Share this post

%d bloggers like this: