Concise Accountancy

Accountants and Registered Auditors

Confirmation statement

Change of principal business activity

You must inform Companies House and HM Revenue and Customs If you change your principal business activity.

Inform HMRC of your new principal business activity

You can report the change of principal business activity in your corporation tax return (CT600) and HMRC would pick up this information from your tax return. Usually, your company accounts accompany with your corporation tax return filing would also require to state the change in your trading activity.

Report change to Companies House

Every limited company must submit their confirmation statement to Companies House every year. You may take this filing opportunity to report your new trading activity with Companies House. You may report the change of your principal business activity by updating your SIC code. In other words, you choose the code that closely represents your current business activity. That’s it.

For example, say, your original principal activity was wholesale of flowers and plants, your SIC code would be 46220 then. Now, you are retailing flowers and plants and no longer wholesale, then your SIC code would be 47760.

You can report your new SIC code at the same time filing your confirmation statement with Companies House. You do not need to file the change separately like you would when there is a change in director appointment or change of registered office address.

Another document you must report your new principal activity is your company accounts. You must declare there is a change in principal business activity during the year in your director’s report page.

Check your company’s principal activity

You can check your principal business activity currently registered with Companies House. Companies House publish your company’s details for public inspection.

Share this post

%d bloggers like this: