Remove a home address from Companies House register

You can apply to Companies House to remove a home address from the Companies House register. Section 1088 of the Companies Act 2006 allows company director, officer, shareholder (subscriber) and partner of a Limited liability partnership to apply to Companies House to have their home address removed from documents filed for the public inspection.

For this purpose, you must complete the Companies House form SR01. Additionally, you must pay the statutory fee of £32 per document. For example, you can apply to remove your home address as your service address because you are the company director.

You need to specify the document containing your home address in your SR01 form. You can search Companies House register here to find out

There is a circumstance where you cannot ask Companies House to remove your home address from the Companies House register. This is where your home address was used as the registered office address of your LLP or limited company.

Pay Companies House fee

You can pay the £32 fee online here. You will be given a payment reference.

How to submit your SR01 application during COVID-19 pandemic

You can submit your SR01 by post. Or you can email (see below) your completed SR01 with your payment reference.

Other Companies House filings during COVID-19 pandemic

Companies House also provide other support to UK businesses during COVID-19 pandemic. Your company’s account filing deadline has been extended. This will help you to avoid a late filing penalty if you are unable to deliver your company accounts on time during this pandemic. You do not need to do anything. You just need to go to Companies House website to check your new filing deadline.

On the same note, your confirmation statement filing deadline has also been extended. You would have 6 weeks to file your confirmation statement. Likewise, for the events driven filings, you will have 42 days (6 weeks) to notify Companies House instead of the usual 14 days filing deadline.

In addition, Companies House also created an interim paperless filing service to accept documents which would normally require a live signature.

During this pandemic, you are encouraged to submit your documents online to Companies House. You can use the webfiling service to file the following documents to Companies House.

To file online, you would require your company’s authentication code. The authentication code is the electronic equivalent of your company’s director(s) signatures. Keep safe your authentication code.

If you require help with your company’s filings, contact Our accountants. They will be more than happy to assist you.

How long to keep accounting records

UK companies must keep their accounting records for a number of years. How long to keep accounting records is dependent on whether you are a private company or a public limited company (PLC).

In brief, accounting records include your company accounts, company tax return, VAT returns, Payroll records and other financial records.

Section 388 (a) and (b) of the Companies Act 2006 made this clear. A private limited company must keep their accounting records for 3 years. Whereas, a PLC must keep their accounting records for 6 years. The keeping record date starts from your last company accounting year-end date.

In some cases, your company may require to keep financial records for more than 6 years. For examples,

  • To show a transaction that covers two accounting periods.
  • Your company’s equipment or machinery has an economic useful life span longer than 6 years.
  • You deliver your company tax return to HMRC late.
  • HMRC started a compliance check into your company tax return.

Where to keep your accounting records?

Generally, you must keep your company records at your registered office address in the UK. If for any reasons, you would like to store your records somewhere else, you must notify Companies House. The somewhere else, in the UK company law, it is called the Single Alternative Inspection Location (SAIL).

Usually, you would keep your financial records with your company registers at the same place. Your company registers would include the register of directors, copies of your confirmation statement file with Companies House and so on.

For this purpose, both your registered office address and your SAIL address must not be a P O BOX address. They must be a physical location.

If you have any questions about your company accounts, contact Companies House. For any questions relating to your company tax returns, contact HMRC. You may also speak with our London accountants.

Register of charges

A limited company must keep and maintain a Register of charges as required by law. You must make your company register available for inspection when a request to inspect the register has been made.

Information to keep in Register of Charges

The information and documents you must keep in your company register include:

  • All charges specifically affecting your company’s property.
  • All floating charges on the whole or part of your company’s assets or undertaking.
  • A description of your company’s assets charged
  • The amount of charge
  • The name of the person entitled to the charge
  • Copies of any instruments giving a mortgage or other charge over your company.

Register your charges with Companies House

Your company must register a charge or a mortgage within 21 days with Companies House. Otherwise, your company commit an offence thus you are liable to a fine.

Creditors and shareholders

The purpose of your register of charges is to give your unsecured creditors and other person giving credit to your company can see what part of your company’s property is already charged.

For this reason, your shareholders and creditors are entitled to inspect your register free of charge. Whereas, any other person may inspect your register for a fee prescribed.

Location of your register

Typically, your register of charges is kept at your company’s registered office address. However, if you keep your register somewhere else then inform Companies House. Thus, you submit the Single Alternative Inspection Location (SAIL) form specifying the location of your Register.

%d bloggers like this: