Contact Companies House

Contact Companies House if you have any questions about UK company incorporation procedure and legal filings requirements. They are the governing body for businesses trading as limited companies and partnerships in the United Kingdom. Broadly, they administer and maintain public records of private and public limited companies. In addition, they also administer statutory filing of limited liabilities partnerships. In other words, they make sure companies and partnerships submit their Confirmation Statement, annual accounts and other compulsory legal documents with them on time for public record.

Generally, your company and limited liability partnership must submit the following documents to the Registrar of Companies and HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) every year. There is no exception to a dormant company and a non-trading company. Both types of these companies must submit accounts and also file their Confirmation statement.

In addition, all your companies and partnerships’legal documents must also comply with the Companies Act 2006.

If you are not familiar with the UK company law (the Companies Act 2006), it is best to use a firm of accountants to take care of your UK company’s filings for you. This would allow you to focus on your business rather than stress about how to do this or that to maintain your UK company. Another thing is your accountant can also help you to avoid the late filing penalty and fines from Companies House. Usually, they would send you reminders when your UK company’s filings become due.

Companies House’s contact details are as follows:

Contact centre: 03031234500
Mini-com: 02920381245

If you would like to send your SIGNED UK company accounts by post, please send it to one of the following Companies House offices. For example, if your company has a registered office in England or Wales, you can send your Signed company accounts to either Companies House Cardiff office or Companies House London office.

Companies House Cardiff

Crown way
CF14 3UZ

Companies House Edinburgh

Fourth Floor
Edinburgh Quay 2
139 Fountainbridge

Companies House London

4 Abbey Orchard Street
Westminster London

Companies House Northern Ireland

Second floor
The Linenhall
32-38 Linenhall street

Feel free to contact Companies House or our London Accountants, if you have any questions about the UK company’s statutory filings. We will be more than happy to help you.

You have a great day.

Brexit with no deal scenario

Companies House has issued a guidance to prepare UK companies in the event of brexit with no deal scenario. Of course, we are all desire the best deal scenario that is UK would leave EU with a deal. Deal or no deal on Brexit, we all recognize that UK government is moving the country forward independently which is a great move. We have great confidence that UK will roar with deal or no deal. We can do it!

Deal or no deal?

Brexit may have created uncertainty. With deal or no deal, this will soon pass. We, human beings can adapt to changes fairly quickly. If we can adapt then your business can adapt too because you are the one driving your business forward.

Changes affect companies on Brexit

Companies House has issued a guidance for businesses that may require to change its legal status in the event of Brexit with no deal scenario.

At the moment, according to the guidance, businesses that may be affected are as follows.

  • A European entity formed under EU Law
  • A UK company with an EEA corporate officer
  • A UK company involved in a cross border merger
  • A EEA company

The guidance outlined what is going to happen to the businesses fall under the categories mentioned above. Thus, it is worth reading the guidance to find out what you would need to prepare and how you are going to do it on Brexit. In addition, the guidance also outlined what is going to happen if you do nothing about it.

Changes to Companies House forms

Companies House forms will change in the event of Brexit with no deal. For this purpose, Companies House has also issued a guidance on what forms changes on Brexit. For easy reference, the guidance categorized the forms into the following.

  • Corporate officers
  • Societas Europaea (SE)
  • European Economic Interest Grouping (EEIG)
  • Confirmation statement
  • Cross borer mergers
  • Overseas companies
  • Discontinued forms after brexit.

Click here for the guidance on changes to Companies House forms in the event of no deal Brexit. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact Companies House or our accountants.

Confirmation statement fines

Companies House will issue fines to your company if failed to submit your confirmation statement. Your company has 14 days to submit your confirmation statement with Companies House. You can do it online or you can submit the form CS01 by post.

Criminal offence

It is a criminal offence for deliberately not submitting your confirmation statement with Companies House.

Unacceptable excuses

Companies House would usually send reminders to your company’s registered office when your confirmation statement is due for filing. There is no excuse that you are not aware the filings are overdue.

The only time you missed all the Companies House reminders would be that your registered office address no longer valid. You have not informed Companies House of this fact or provide a valid registered office address.

This is still not an excuse because the company law says it is the director’s responsibility to update Companies House if there is any change to your registered office address. The form to file is AD01 in this situation.

Losing your company authentication code as an excuse you are not able to do your filing is not acceptable. This is because you can request the code again from Companies House. Also, you have the option to file the Companies House forms on paper.

Confirmation statement fines

Section 853L of the Companies Act 2006 outlined the fines payable if your company is guilty of an offence and is liable on summary conviction.

England and WalesTo a fine, and, for continued contravention, a daily default fine not exceeding the greater of £500 and one-tenth of level 4 on the standard scale;
ScotlandTo a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale and for continued contravention, a daily default fine not exceeding one-tenth of level 5 on the standard scale.
Northern IrelandTo a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale and for continued contravention, a daily default fine not exceeding one-tenth of level 5 on the standard scale.

Consequently, the daily default fines for failed to submit your confirmation statement can be expensive.

Above all, your company directors, secretaries and any other officers must show that they have taken reasonable steps to avoid continued failing to submit your confirmation statement.

Contact us if your require help with taking care of your company’s confirmation statement.

Dissolve your company

If you no longer want to keep your company, you may apply to Companies House to have it dissolved so that you no longer obliged to file Confirmation statement. The dissolution process take two months to complete provided there is no objections from any parties.

All the directors must sign the DS01 form and your company must have ceased trading for at least three months. All your creditors and shareholders must be notified of this intention to strike off the company from the register.

Even more company dissolution cannot be used as a mean to avoid debts. Your dissolution process would be on hold if there is any objections and Companies House would make contact with your directors.