Concise Accountancy

Accountants and Registered Auditors

Company dissolution

Object to company dissolution

A company dissolution usually takes about 2 months to complete. A notice will be published in the Gazette. You can object to a company dissolution if the company owes you money or tries to avoid any obligations to pay.

When to object

Firstly, you can only object after the dissolution has been published in The Gazette. Secondly, you must contact Companies House with your objection. On the same note, you must send in your objection at least 2 weeks before the notice expires. The expiry date is 2 months after the date of publication in The Gazette.

Concurrently, you must provide evidence to support your objection, for example, invoices showing the company is still trading and owes your money. For instance, HMRC would object to a company applying to be struck off the Register if the company owes PAYE and VAT debts.

Next step after sending in your objection

You will receive a communication from Companies House if your objection is successful. Normally, a 3 or 6 months period is set during which the company cannot be dissolved.

However, if you require more time to settle your issues with the dissolving company, you must communicate with Companies House. For example, the legal dispute is expected to take longer than 6 months and provide evidence of this.

At the same time, if you have resolved issues with the company and no longer object to it being struck off, please communicate this with Companies House as well.

If Companies House did not hear from you and your objection expires, the company still meets all the conditions, it will be dissolved. Thereafter, the company is no longer required to deliver confirmation statements and company accounts to Companies House.

How to object

By email

You object to a company dissolution by email. Please send your objection to this email address:

By post

You can also send your objection by post. You should object to the office where the company is registered. For example, if the company has a registered office in England then you send the objection to the Companies House office located in England and Wales. Accordingly, if the company’s registered office is in Scotland then you send your objection to Companies House in Scotland.

Companies House England and Wales
Dissolution Section
Companies House
Crown Way
Cardiff CF14 3UZ

Companies House Northern Ireland
Dissolution Section
Companies House
2nd Floor, The Linenhall
32-38 Linenhall Street
Belfast BT2 8BG

Companies House Scotland
Dissolution Section
Companies House
4th Floor, Edinburgh Quay 2
139 Fountainbridge
Edinburgh EH3 9FF

Share this post

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: