Certificate of good standing

The certificate of good standing certifies that your UK company has been in continuous, unbroken existence since its incorporation. Concurrently, there is no action is currently being taken to strike it off Companies House register.

Generally, it is very easy for your company to achieve good standing status. All you need to do is to make sure you submit your company accounts and confirmation statements with Companies House on time.

In addition, your company must meet minimum company officer appointments requirements. For example, a Public Limited Company (PLC) must have at least two directors and a company secretary with one person director. Whereas for a private limited company, you must have at least one person director.

Companies House will not issue your certificate of good standing if your company’s filings are not up to date. For example, your company account is overdue at the time you request your certificate, Companies House would not issue it until your company account is filed.

When do you require a certificate of good standing?

Normally, if your company are banking overseas, your foreign bank would require you to provide a certified and apostilled certificate of good standing issued by Companies House every year.

In this circumstance, you must obtain your certificate from Companies House first. Thereafter, you arrange your certificate to be stamped by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO). You must send in the original certificate not the photocopy of it.

Additional facts on your certificate

You can request to include additional certified facts on your certificate. These include:

  • directors’ names, and details such as date of birth or nationality
  • secretaries’ names
  • registered office address
  • the company’s objects
  • good standing statement

If you have any questions on how to obtain your certificate of good standing, feel free to contact our London accountants.

Become a British citizen

UK company director and company secretary must notify Companies House if you have changed your nationality recently. For example, you are applying to become a British Citizen and your application has been successful. In other words, the UK Home Office has issued you a British passport. In this case, you must notify Companies House of your new nationality

Notify Companies House

If you are a company director with Companies House, use the form CH01 to notify Companies House that you has became a British citizen.

Whereas, if you are a company secretary, you must use the form CH03 to update your nationality with Companies House.

You can notify Companies House using the online webfiling service or send in your completed CH01 form by post.

If you are going to do it online. you would require your company authentication code. Without the code, you would not be able to file online.

However, you could send in your completed CH01 or CH03 form to one of Companies House offices by post. To expedite the processing of your application, it is best to send your form the appropriate address below:

For companies registered in England and Wales:

The Registrar of Companies, Companies House,
Crown Way, Cardiff, Wales, CF14 3UZ.
DX 33050 Cardiff.

For companies registered in Scotland:

The Registrar of Companies, Companies House,
Fourth floor, Edinburgh Quay 2,
139 Fountainbridge, Edinburgh, Scotland, EH3 9FF.
DX ED235 Edinburgh 1
or LP – 4 Edinburgh 2 (Legal Post).

For companies registered in Northern Ireland:

The Registrar of Companies, Companies House,
Second Floor, The Linenhall, 32-38 Linenhall Street,
Belfast, Northern Ireland, BT2 8BG.
DX 481 N.R. Belfast 1.

Section 243 exemption

If you are applying for, or have been granted a section 243 exemption, please post this whole form to the different postal address below:
The Registrar of Companies, PO Box 4082, Cardiff, CF14 3WE.

Companies House London office

Companies House London office is moving to a new location in Westminster. The new London office will offer the same registration service and search services to businesses and their customers.

The moving date is 7 October 2019.

Delivery of companies documents

If you usually hand deliver your company accounts, confirmation statements or other companies house forms to Companies House London office, take note of the moving date and new address.

Likewise, if you frequency pick up your company documents in person or via a courier service from the London office. Knowing the moving date would save you from turning up at the old address if they have already moved.


For this reason, you may like to put a alert reminder that Companies House London office moving date is 7 October 2019. By doing this, you could save yourself the hassle of accidentally send your courier guy to a wrong address. Hence, this would save your time and avoid additional cost for the same pick up.

Current London office

Companies House
4 Abbey Orchard Street

New office location from 7 October 2019

Companies House
Ground Floor
80 Petty France

Contact Telephone number

Companies House London office contact telephone number is still the same, that is 0303 1234 500. The contact centre lines are open between 8.30am to 6pm from Monday to Friday.