Appoint an overseas company director

You must complete the Companies House form OS AP01 to appoint an overseas company individual director. This form is different from the form AP01. The AP01 is for the appointment of a director for a limited company.

If you would like to appoint a corporate director for your overseas company then you must use the form OS AP02.

Information required to complete the form OS AP01

You would require the following information about your overseas company to complete the form OS AP01.

Section 1: Overseas company details

You are to provide your overseas company number. Your overseas company number shall start with a prefix “FC” or “SF” or “NF” followed by six digits.

Followed by giving your overseas company full name or alternative name currently registered with Companies House.

Section 2: Date of director’s appointment

You must specify the date of your new overseas company’s director being appointed.

Section 3: New director information

You must provide your new director’s full names including former names. This includes maiden or married names which have been used for business purposes in the last two decades. You can use section 8 of this form if required.

You also require to disclose your director’s country’s of residence, nationality, birth date and business occupation. For date of birth, you only require to fill in the month and the year in section 3. Because this information is for public register. You disclose your director’s full date of birth in section 3a and this page is not shown on the public record.

Section 4: New director’s service address

You must provide a service address for your new director in section 4. The address needs not to be his/her home address. It cannot be a P O BOX address. If you do provide his/her home address as the director’s service address then this would appear on the Companies House register and available for public inspection.

If your director’s service address is the same as his/her home address then you can write “same as service address” in section 4a. Otherwise, you must disclose your director’s usual home address including postcode.

If you are applying for or have been granted higher protection by Companies House from disclosing your usual home address to credit reference agencies then you must send this form to the following address:

The Registrar of Companies, PO Box 4082, Cardiff, CF14 3WE.

Section 5: Your director’s authority

You must disclose if your new director has limited or unlimited authority. If you have indicated your director’s authority is limited, you must provide a brief description in the box provided in the form.

Concurrently, you must also disclose if your director can act alone or must act jointly. If your director is not authorised to act alone then you must provide names of the persons who are authorised to act jointly.

Section 6: Overseas company’s branch in the UK

You provide your overseas company’s branch name and registration number. Your branch number shall start with a prefix “BR” followed by six digits.

Section 7: Signature

You must sign the form. You must hold the position of either as the overseas company director, secretary or a permanent representative in order to sign the form OS AP01.

Where to send your OS AP01 form

You may send your completed OS AP01 form to one of the following Companies House offices.

England and Wales:

The Registrar of Companies, Companies House,
Crown Way, Cardiff, Wales, CF14 3UZ.
DX 33050 Cardiff.


The Registrar of Companies, Companies House,
Fourth floor, Edinburgh Quay 2,
139 Fountainbridge, Edinburgh, Scotland, EH3 9FF.
DX ED235 Edinburgh 1
or LP – 4 Edinburgh 2 (Legal Post).

Northern Ireland:

The Registrar of Companies, Companies House,
Second Floor, The Linenhall, 32-38 Linenhall Street,
Belfast, Northern Ireland, BT2 8BG.
DX 481 N.R. Belfast 1.

Companies House filings during COVID-19 pandemic

Companies House created an interim paperless filing service to accept documents which would normally require a live signature. You can easily upload your documents to Companies House online platform.

You are also encouraged to use the WebFiling service to submit the following documents to Companies House.

For this purpose, you would require your company’s authentication code to file online. The authentication code is the electronic equivalent of your company’s director(s) signatures. Hence, you must keep it safe.

If you require help with your company’s filings, contact Our accountants. They will be more than happy to assist you.

%d bloggers like this: